This homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe is the perfect blend of zesty, spicy, savory flavors that are sure to kick any dish up a delicious notch.
Cajun seasoning has long been one of my go-to faves for amping up everything from chicken to seafood, veggies to potatoes, soups to stir-frys, dips to dippers, roasting in the oven, or on the grill — you name it. It’s one of those brilliant spice blends that work well with just about everything.
It only takes a few minutes to make, and I bet you already have the ingredients in your spice drawer.
WHAT IS CAJUN SEASONING?
Alright, but first, let’s back up a sec. Exactly what is Cajun seasoning, you might ask? It’s a rustic seasoning blend that hails from Louisiana, the home of delicious Cajun cuisine. Everyone tends to have their own spin on it, but in general, it’s a spicy blend featuring lots of paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano. You can add various other seasonings to the taste. I’ve also included salt in my blend so that you can use the seasoning on its own. But you’re welcome to leave the salt out if you would prefer to add it separately to taste.
- 3 tablespoons paprika (I prefer smoked paprika).
- 2 tablespoons fine kosher salt.
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder.
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper.
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder.
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon cayenne.
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or spice jar until evenly combined.
- Use immediately, or store in a sealed container for up to 1 year.